Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stay-cation

Prior to last Monday I had never heard of a stay-cation.
Honestly, it caught me a little off guard when my sweetie suggested I stay put after canceling a vacation trip to Mexico.

"Stay" cation? Say Whaaat?

It's where you stay home and take a vacation.

My iteration of it became this:
I will try NOT to do the things I feel responsible for doing just because they are part of my day-to-day schedule.

For instance, I bathe. Infrequently, and usually in the shower, but I bathe. Well, for 4 days in a row....I took baths. Long, luxurious baths in a jaccuzi bath tub with bubbles, wine, candles, music, during the day! HA!

Baths have become my new favorite remedy for anything that ails me. Kid driving me nuts with temper tantrums? BATH. Nincum-poops I work with not doing their jobs. BATH. Knee swelling and sore. BATH. Dog won't stop dropping wet, slimy ball on my lap. BATH

Get it? :)
To the bemusement of my domestic partner, the bathroom has received more art and accutrements around the toilet to further enjoy bath lounging time.

More stay-cation break thru's...I took a nap from 2 - 4 p.m. one day!

My 2 hour nap elated me for the next 2 days! I was SO happy! Mostly, it was giving the "capitalistic midget in my head" the middle finger and TAKING my nap time that made me feel triumphant and accomplished. (insert Rocky theme song)

Now, I know what you may be thinking..."Seriously, was it that great?" What most Americans don't realize is that sleep deprivation is kind of like a gateway drug. Stick with me...

You are sleep deprived so you gulp some caffiene. Then your thirsty and hungry because your body's metabolism has been shocked into over drive so you eat quickie food (a soda and vending machine fare).
Cut to after work, you go exercise and are not properly hydrated so you cramp and possibly dehydrate more.
Now you have about 2500 empty calories in your body, no energy to poop and you are wondering why you can't sleep even though you are dead tired (thanks, caffeine).
Heaven forbid a stressor enter your day, as happens to most humans, and leaves you feeling emotionally bruised. Cherry on top of your sleep deprived day.
See what I mean?

It's not rocket science, The Washington Post got to it best here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/08/AR2005100801405.html

Back to stay-cation epiphanies...

Surprisingly, I advocate little to no exercise during stay-cation!
My motto was, "More wine, less movement"
For people who move their bodies all day, every day this is critical. For people who sit at a desk for the majority of their day I would say listen to your body.
Teaching yoga 20+ hours a week, I am exhausted on Saturday afternoon and sometimes have difficulty getting excited about weekend outings because my body is craving the lateral lines of my bed. Does this sound like your body talk? Stay-cation could be your new BFF.

I taught my first yoga class today since my 6 day stay-cation and it reminded me of why I LOVE doing what I do. :)

If any of this resonates with you then create your own stay-cation. My girlfriend Denise did one too but said her 3 day was too short. Be greedy with your stay-cation!

And then blog here about it, I wanna know how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment